- Calls & Dates
- Summer School
Call for Tutorials
ESWC 2015 invites tutorials that address the interests of its highly diverse audience: people new to the Semantic Web, Semantic Web researchers and practitioners who wish to learn about or stay up-to-date with new technologies, users of these technologies interested in expanding their skills and knowledge, as well as representatives of governmental and funding bodies, both public and private. We welcome submissions of tutorial proposals on all major, but also hot, emerging topics in our field.
We envision several types of tutorials at the ESWC2015:
- - Tutorials with a coherent theme providing an introduction to new semantic technologies, methods, techniques, and trends.
- - Tutorials describing the application of semantic technologies in specific domains (e.g., life-sciences, e-government, e-commerce, cultural heritage, etc.).
- - Tutorials presenting techniques from other fields that are of relevance for Semantic Web research, including social sciences, digital humanities, biomedical research, HCI etc.
Tutorials may focus on theoretical topics, however, they should include practical sessions, be that in form of executable code or tools the audience can use, or exercises, or both. Tutorials can be half or full day. The proposers should indicate their preference for one of the formats in the submission. We advise having up to three tutors, preferably from different institutions, bringing in different perspectives to the tutorial topic.
Timeline for Tutorials
Proposals due: Friday 5th December, 2014 - 23:59 Hawaii Time - DEADLINE EXTENDED
Notification of acceptance: December 15th, 2014 - 23:59 Hawaii Time
Tutorial Web site online: December 22nd, 2014 - 23:59 Hawaii Time
Tutorial materials uploaded: April 22nd, 2015 - 23:59 Hawaii Time
Tutorial days: May 31st – June 1st, 2015
Organizers of accepted tutorials are responsible for setting up and maintaining a Web site that describes the tutorial and includes all relevant information. Organizers are also responsible for submitting the material for attendees (slide sets, additional teaching material, software installation and usage guides for practical hands-on sessions, etc.) to the tutorial chairs. The ESWC 2015 organizing committee is responsible for providing publicity for the tutorials as part of the conference publicity activities, and on-site logistical support to the organizers and attendees. Tutorial attendees must pay the ESWC 2015 workshop registration fee, as well as the conference registration fee.
Each tutorial will be granted one reduced registration fee, covering the registration costs for both tutorial days (May 31st and June 1st 2015, but not the main conference fees. In the interest of maintaining the high standards of the ESWC, the chairs reserve the right to decide upon adjustments in the scope and focus of the tutorials and to suggest tutorials which should be merged. This would apply primarily for tutorials which do not attract a minimal number of registrations by the early registration deadline.
Submission and evaluation
Proposals should not exceed 5 pages using a reasonable font size (not less than 11 pts). They should include the call for participation together with the following details:
- - Abstract: 200 words maximum, for inclusion to the ESWC 2015 Web site.
- - Tutorial description: objectives of the tutorial and relevance to ESWC 2015; information about the scope and level of detail of the material to be covered; intended audiences; learning objectives; practical sessions.
- - Tutorial length: Half or full day, including preferences.
- - Previous versions or related tutorials: other venues of this or similar tutorials (potentially by a different team of tutors), motivation for offering the tutorial again, at the ESWC2015.
- - Tutoring team: short bios of the presenters, including previous training and public speaking experience (e.g., teaching in English, conference presentations, tutorials etc.)
All proposals will be reviewed by the tutorial chairs and discussed within the organization committee of the ESWC2015.
Submission will be via Easychair at https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=eswc2015tutorials.